As all of you must be aware, the World Lacrosse Championships will be held in Denver (USA) from the 10th to the 19th of July 2014, and the French lacrosse national team will take part in this international tournament. No less than 23 players will therefore travel to Colorado this upcoming summer with only one goal in mind, to proudly represent their country. But in order to achieve such a thing, they must first find a way to make it to the Land of the Free!
In our country, lacrosse is a brand new sport, the French lacrosse governing body is only an association, and not a federation. Under French law, a sport is required to have a certain number of players in order to be granted the legal status of federation. And this is an issue of concern because only federations are eligible for governmental subsidies. As a matter of fact, players have to finance their trip to Denver on their own, and even if they are more than willing to do so, it turns out to be rather costly. Indeed, each French national player has to pay an approximate sum of 3000€ ($4,138) which can be broken down as follows:
- 1000€ ($1,379) for a roundtrip plane ticket
- 1500€ ($2,068) for tournament fees (lodging, food and inscription fees)
- 500€ ($690) for the equipment
But when there is a will, there is a way! In fact, there are 4 ways for you to support the French national team and help its players to get to Denver.
1) You can either donate money to our crowd funding page on GoFundMe.com (you will get a free, France lacrosse polo if you donate at least 50€/$69).
2) But you can also buy a Grow the Game t-shirt! All proceeds greater than $15 per tee will be donated directly to the International team of your choice, but you seriously should think about choosing France!
3) Feeling like you need a new pair of shirts ? A polo, a t shirt or even maybe a pinnie ? By purchasing any of those, you will help in raising funds!
4) But I saved the best for last: our Ride the Coq shorts! In French, coq means rooster, and the latter is none other than the French national emblem.
Thank you for your time, and for your generosity!